Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Meditations on Rumi’s field…



“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
and rightdoing there is a field.
I’ll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass
the world is too full to talk about.” Rumi

This poem has been a meditation for over a year now. I return to this quote again and again when I encounter others whose behaviors trigger responses in myself. I’ve been learning to get curious about those responses and rather than point at the other, look inside and stay present to what I am feeling and what is revealed. Surrendering the need to make myself or others right or wrong and just being with what is. Releasing judgment of myself and others.

The release of judgment opens me up to finding the center of what is true for myself, the possibility of having loving relationships with other people and being in connections to others in freedom rather than a hostage situation.

I will meet people who live in many different places with many different value systems…it is endlessly fascinating to me how others live life, what they value, how they do it. Non-judgment allows for the possibility of peace rather than war. AND…non-judgment of how people choose to live is very different than having to live as they live… I can be in Rumis’ field but this does not mean I have to live as another. Nor does anyone else have to believe and live as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment