Sunday, March 15, 2015

Children

I was out to dinner last night and ran into a woman I have been acquainted with for three years. She has two young children. I asked how they are doing. She told me that she is so busy working that she has not really focused on her children.

It is very difficult for me to hear this response. This woman is enormously talented in so many ways. The hollowness of her response seems to signal to me one of the plagues of our times. How is it that we have forgotten the preciousness of being in relationship with our children?

This time passes so quickly. I work with adults who suffer greatly from the neglect and undeveloped maturation of their relationships with their parents. I doubt there is anything else, in the first world, that creates greater suffering than love lost in these most important relationships.

It is my fervent prayer that we wake, as a society, to truly value in all we say and do, these first relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment